Sunday, July 6, 2008

Salute to Mr. John Wood

My interest and mood often changes from time to time. Some times I get lost into musical world and sometimes I crazily drop everything for my work. Every now and then my priorities are changed however my interests remains same. Though I manage to fulfill my hobbies and interest but it follows like a chain, one following the other and some times simultaneously.

Among few of my interests, these days I am fond of reading and writing however, actually reading and writing are not of my primary interest. Though, usually I don’t have time to read but get carried away with my friends’ suggestions which enforce me to jumble up with few books. And if I ever happen to read, I prefer motivational books rather than any fiction books or detective solving a murder-suicidal case story. Motivational books inspire and fascinate me to read and even sometimes urge me to write.

These days I am going through Nepali version of “Leaving Microsoft to Change the World” which is known as “Microsoft dekhi Bahundada samma”. The author of the book is Mr. John Wood, founder of Room to Read and Mr. Khagendra Sangrula translated it in Nepali. In the recent years I have gone through similar kinds of inspirational and motivational books like How to Change the World, Monk who sold his Ferrari and few book on social entrepreneurship also. The knowledge provided by these books helped me to explore and figure out to some extent the meaning of life…….particularly my own life.

I would also like to thank Mr. Wood for writing such an inspiring book as the book is very encouraging and inspiring people to contribute to bring change to better humankind in all the society. I found hopes for being daring, innovative after this book. The story of John Wood realized me that I have already chose a thread in my life which attempts to change myself, society and the whole world. The organization that I have established with my friends in 2004, Yatra has already sparkled the light to make change. That’s why after reading the book, my passion for social work again waked up thus I am planning to do something really meaningful that I always wanted to do for my society.

Though, I am confused on making difference in the society from my individual effort. But at this moment I really want to make contribution to the Room to Read. During the time while I was thinking on how I can contribute to Room To Read, I went to website of the book where I found various direct and indirect ways that one can contribute. I was happy to know that I have already started contributing to Room To Read, immediately after purchasing the book. However, I don’t want to stop contributing myself in Mr. Wood’s initiation. To support this noble initiation I am searching for the most viable way to support, still I am not convinced. I am pretty sure that in long run I will certainly contribute significantly but what for now? How can I make contribution that will satisfy myself and support in this noble cause of educating millions of children.

I know that I am not in any position to support Mr. Wood initiation significantly; however, I can do few things to contribute further. As suggested by Mr. Wood in his website, I decided to write about the book in my blog and also to circulate this book among my friends and relatives, I also decided to buy another book in the English version (which I have just bought). I am sure all these small contributions are not going to give any big impacts, but will satisfy me. I was again thinking of any other possible way to support this campaign and an answer came into my mind. If I ever happen to travel in the project site of Room to Read, yes, I can monitor their libraries and schools and report Room to Read or can post case studies in my blog. I know I don’t have any authority to monitor their projects but I suppose that such kind of monitoring will make people more accountable.

I convinced myself that all of these activities can be done voluntarily which will satisfy me as well as support the campaign initiated by Room to Read.

I wish all the success to Room to Read.



Mr. John Wood is the founder of Room to Read. Mr. Wood left Microsoft to do social work at the age of 35 by helping establishing libraries and schools in the remote part of the Nepal, Vietnam, Sri Lanka and other third world countries.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya, Niraj after all its making change in every little possible way. Thanks for the article.....

Anonymous said...

Good things to go ahead

I had also heard about the John Wood's book but has not got chance to read it yet.Now i will find the book, if possible buy one and make a contribution for the benefit of society.

I really appreciate the work/ activities that make changes in the society, no matter how small it is.I wish i could do something that gives benefit to the society rather than myself.But things do not happen as i wish in my life.Retrospect watch on myself for last 5 years, a period of after graduation, shows i am floundering to establish my own carrier.My prospect for 5 years still does not show any indication that i would do anything that will mean for society rather than the benefit of myself. I find many people wondering like myself.Many of people do not find a forum to translate their wishes.Many of time money matters to go into the social services.


The way you people doing the things through the yatra is a epitome for such kinds of work.I compare the activities of yatra with Room to Read, provided the the gradient of grounds in which these two organizations have grown up.I mean the difference is due to the size of organization.R2R has global foundation and can carry out many activities while Yatra has local foundation and can run only limited activities.

Not only organaztion, there are few influential people in the world who can motivate the common people for the benefit of society.Not to confuse, iam indicating Niraj and Yatra. Go ahead to provide room to many people to make their wishes carried out together.
K

Anonymous said...

Niraj Dai,

I have to agree with what you said, and taking from the second Comment, Yatra really can make the difference. Great things start within a single mind that then snowball into something that inspires greatness in all of us. A good example is the Ahimsa movement started by Gandhi. That surely set the different ripples in the world.

I surely would want to see Yatra start a beautiful trend on its own.

prawesh said...

U ve really accelerated your posting in the blog...and wow the postings are new, fresh and enchanting...keep going on and surely you would be gr8 writer one day not fictional, motivational.....all the best....

prawesh said...

After reading your blog and seeing u making a big decision of your life, I just could not simply sit and be amazed about it. I posted a blog for you. Just click the following link to read it.

click here

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read the post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more soon.

Joan Benedict

Anonymous said...

I have be familiar with a few of the articles on your website in the present circumstances, and I unqualifiedly like your fashionableness of blogging. I added it to my favorites net age list and resolve be checking promote soon. Cheer contain out of order my put as approvingly and vindicate me be acquainted with what you think. Thanks.

Grishma said...

Niraj Dai How are u?? Was searchin The book of John Wood and came by ur blog wow what a coincidence.....

Anonymous said...

म एडम्स KEVIN, Aiico बीमा plc को एक प्रतिनिधि, हामी भरोसा र एक ऋण बाहिर दिन मा व्यक्तिगत मतभेद आदर। हामी ऋण चासो दर को 2% प्रदान गर्नेछ। तपाईं यस व्यवसाय मा चासो हो भने अब आफ्नो ऋण कागजातहरू ठीक जारी हस्तांतरण ई-मेल (adams.credi@gmail.com) गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क। Plc.you पनि इमेल गरेर हामीलाई सम्पर्क गर्न सक्नुहुन्छ तपाईं aiico बीमा गर्न धेरै स्वागत छ भने व्यापार वा स्कूल स्थापित गर्न एक ऋण आवश्यकता हो (aiicco_insuranceplc@yahoo.com) हामी सन्तुलन स्थानान्तरण अनुरोध गर्न सक्छौं पहिलो हप्ता।

व्यक्तिगत व्यवसायका लागि ऋण चाहिन्छ? तपाईं आफ्नो इमेल संपर्क भने उपरोक्त तुरुन्तै आफ्नो ऋण स्थानान्तरण प्रक्रिया गर्न
ठीक।